What was missing in the manual
We slightly disagree with Oracle when they say in Windows Install Guide
“It is recommended that you disable all installed components before the upgrade and enable them one by one after the upgrade. This is a good strategy because it allows you to determine which components may have been broken by the upgrade. Please note that this is not necessary for the software upgrade as such to succeed; it is merely a useful customization upgrade strategy.”
This is the only way we got our servers to come up after the upgrade so in our case it was required.
What Server Install Guide didn’t mention was that if you have a Site Studio installed, none of your sites would come up if you follow that procedure. (When you navigate to the Site Studio site URL even after you reinstall the new Site Studio component – you will get “Page can not be found” error).
WARNING: Your upgrade path will change depending on which custom components you have installed! Please review upgrading instructions for new versions of all of your installed components prior to upgrade.
For instance, if you have Folders and Site Studio together – you shouldn’t uninstall or disable them prior to upgrade so that each site can be migrated from a folders-based hierarchy to a project-based hierarchy
Upgrade process overview
Here is what your upgrade task list might look like:
- Update JVM - 10G no longer works with JDK 1.4
- Make a copy of Stellent Installation directory
- Disable all components except Folders.
Once again, see your components upgrade instructions prior to keeping or removing them! Sample list would look like that:
- Uninstall components except Folders
- The following components need to be disabled and then uninstalled:
- Site Studio
- Dynamic Converter
- The following components need to be disabled but not uninstalled :
- All other components except Folders
- Disable Indexer Auto Update Cycle
- Restart server and make sure that there are no errors in the output after every subsequent component disabling and uninstall
- Install new Site Studio Component
- Perform Content Server upgrade
- Enable Indexer Auto Update Cycle
- Install Dynamic Converter
- Web sites should be fully functional including contribution mode and WebDAV
Here are a few more tips that may save you a few more hours
- If Verity is you search engine - set the following variable (as shown, in all caps) in the [install_dir]/config/config.cfg file:
New Content Server will continue working with your existing Verity installation and you won’t need to wait for index to rebuild. That said, you might consider upgrading to Verity VDK6 at later date if you have content in multiple languages.
- If your database is MS SQL Server or Sybase - download jTDS JDBC Driver The old driver may not work. JDBC driver classname will be net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
- If you are having WebDAV problems following successful upgrade - make sure default web site in IIS Admin doesn't have two Stellent ISAPI filters as it is shown below.
If two filters present, remove the second one. Subsequent IIS should render WebDAV fully operational.